DIY: A nighttime potion for quality zzz's
ON WELLNESS BY NATIVSK/N
Sip on this calming brew before bed for a peaceful night of sleep.
There is something bittersweet about Fall. We celebrate the blessings of the harvest; the air feels energetic and crisp; and sunlight plays beautifully with the fiery orange, red and yellow of leaves. But sadly the days grow shorter. The winds of change are blowing.
Autumn is also a time of remembrance: of myths, legends and those who have gone before us. Fall is after all one of the most mysterious, spiritual and mystical seasons of the year. It is a time of change.
As the autumnal equinox (September 22) approaches, you may already be starting to experience the flurry of activity that comes with the change of seasons—
- A growing to-do list in an effort to get it all done before the holidays set in
- Planning for social gatherings and holiday upon holidays of events
The Fall months might also have you feeling a little off balance. There is literally some visual disorientation that takes place as the world surrounding us becomes noticeably different each day we move toward the winter months. And amid the desire to squeeze things in before the holidays arrive we may become increasingly overwhelmed, and get less high-quality sleep.
We came across this great folk recipe from the Jamaican highlands in the wonderful book, Four Seasons of Mojo, by Stephanie Rose Bird. It’s an elixir to promote feelings of tranquility, solace and peace. This nighttime potion will help you glide on these winds of change, and have you nodding off to a good nights sleep before you can say…zzz.
The materials you'll need
- Seed/coffee grinder OR mortar and pestle
- Wire mesh strainer or sieve
- Small to medium-sized sauce pot
- white cardamom pod — Cardamom, Elettaria cardamom, is well known as a spice used in Indian cooking, and is considered one of the most valuable spices in the world due to its rich aroma and therapeutic properties.
- almond milk— It has calcium, which helps the brain produce melatonin, as well as magnesium, which is important for sleep regulation.
- vanilla extract— Vanilla planifolia, Small traces of calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc are found in vanilla beans
- rum— made from sugarcane (Saccharin officinarum)
- nutmeg—Myristica fragrans, has a long list of associated health benefits, including its ability to relieve pain, soothe indigestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, boost skin health, alleviate oral conditions, reduce insomnia, and increase immune system function
directions for making herbal powders
- Grind one white cardamom pod (for each person) in a mortar and pestle. This will release its medicine. Remove and discard the large pieces of the outer husk.
- Add 1 cup of liquid (we are partial to almond milk) for each person to a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add the crushed pods to the sauce pan. Warm, but do not boil, for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain to remove cardamom, and add 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour into mug or cups and add a shot of rum (or not) to each cup.
- Sprinkle the top with nutmeg.
Sip slowly and meditate upon the profound impact and transformation the change of seasons has on our spiritual life. The tranquilizing effects of this delicious brew on the nerves will have you nodding off to a sound night of sleep before you know it.
Hey! Gotta another delicious recipe you love that helps promote sleep? Or a unique twist on this one? If so, let us know in the Comments Section below!
All information on NATIVSK/N is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in partnership with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.